Turning 50

Turning 50
Maybe this was what started it all? That's me on the right.

Monday, 2 April 2007

Return to Florence

I have decided that Florence is probably my favourite city so far in Italy. I went back there again yesterday intending to see the Ponte Vecchio and visit the Uffizi Gallery. I managed to get a park not to far along from the bridge and meandered along in the sun for the 10 minutes or so that it took me to get to the bridge.
I wish I was wealthy enough to seriously look at all the beautiful gold in all the shops lining the bridge but window shopping was almost as much fun - I mean really, who could enjoy actually having to make a choice amongst all that, what stress!
I walked along Lungarno d. Archibusieri, past all the artists and street sellers towards the queue for the Uffizi where I was to spend the next 2 hours trying to communicate with a young Japanese girl who was travelling on her own. Her English was not good, my Japanese is non existent and our Italian was also useless so we spent the time gesticulating and miming to each other and she showed me her photos of Milan and Venice, since we had discovered that she had just been there and I would be going there (not quite sure how we got there but we did have 2 hours to spare).
After finally getting into the Uffizi, we went our separate ways. I know it's not PC to say this, but I was not as impressed as I expected to be. Yes, there are some lovely paintings and sculptures in the gallery but Edinburgh has a gallery full of paintings which are just as beautiful in their own way. I think the one that most surprised me was Botticelli's 'Birth of Venus'. In every copy I have seen, the colours seemed much more intense and vibrant than the reality. My preference was definitely the scupture collection and the visit was definitely worthwhile.
Next I headed out to the Piazza d. Signoria which was a real highlight. I just stood in the middle of it breathing in all the atmosphere. It was quite magnificent. The real 'David', Neptune, the people, the busy-ness - it all just stunned me. I spent a good hour just watching and admiring everything - I think I will have to go back again! I had gelato and sat in the sun - this is what I expected this trip to be.
(Photos will be uploaded tomorrow so check them out) Bye for now

No comments: